Graphics in YellowDogLinux 4.0

Twixster twixster at cinci.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 19:29:36 MST 2004

I just installed the YDL 4.0 and I as well as other are less than satisfied.
I was disappointed to see that my Powerbook g4 (1ghz 1, 1gig of ram, radeon
9000 mobility) in terms of graphics still sucks in YDL.  I also feel
disappointed that I can not run 3d apps with 3d acceleration which is what I
would like.
    However, I impressed with the overall speed improvements with YDL 4.0, I
feel that it runs much smoother than 3.x.  However, I feel that at least in
the powerbook lines the models are to generalized considering that each
version of powerbook has at least 4 or 5 different models.  Also, one thing
that I have just not had time to check on is weather bug (feature in osx bug
in linux) that was introduced with the latest firmware update from apple.
The one that does not allow the powerbook g4 1ghz to run at 1ghz but rather
667 mhz.
    I just want to say that I thank the development team for the efforts and
I hope they continue to work things out.  Something that I think that some
people don't understand is that linux is always a work in progress and
things are never perfect unless you build things from the ground up and know
exactly what you are doing.

                Twixster

Ps if anyone can help get 3d acceleration up and running on my system I
would greatly appreciate it.