I think I am sol

David Wadson wadson at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 23 15:54:48 MST 2004

I've had lots of trouble with Old World machines (pre-G3) trying to
install from the CDs. Either they wouldn't boot into the installer or
they would have trouble reading packages. I've had much better luck
getting machines to install via NFS, with the contents of the CDs
dumped onto one of our XServes and shared via OS X Server 10.3.x. A
barebones install of OS 8.5, BootX, the YDL kernel images (regular and
boot), and the ramdisk can be squeezed onto a 50MB partition. Granted,
you could very well have deeper technical problems with the install
than simply not being able to read a disk but that stuff will probably
be easier to figure out if you can avoid the hassle of dirty,
tempermental CD-ROM drives..

Dave