dual drive

Jim Bauer jfbauer at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 11:51:07 MST 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 11:28, Corbett Battaile wrote:
> Let me start by saying that my answer is in no way authoritative, and you
> might know all this already, so please forgive the self-indulgent IDE
> tutorial if so. Plus, I don't have a copy of the YDL 3.0.1 guide, and my
> 4.0 guide is at work. (Today's a holiday for most folks here in the "good"
> "old" US of A.)
>
> But I suspect that the confusion stems from how one defines "first" and
> "second" on an IDE chain, and also whether one jumpers Masters and Slaves
> explicitly or uses Cable Select to define the Master and Slave. The
> important point, it appears, is that YDL should reside on the Master drive.
>
> So, that means that YDL should be installed on the drive FARTHEST from the
> motherboard (the Master), and MacOS on the drive CLOSEST to the motherboard
> (the Slave). Like this:

[drawing snipped]

> Now, regarding jumpers, there are two ways to do it. One, you could jumper
> both drives with the Cable Select (CS) option. (Assuming your drives
> support it - most newer ones do.) That sets the drive farthest from the
> motherboard as the master, and the one closest as the slave. Or, you could
> explicitly jumper the farthest drive as Master and the closest as Slave.
> (Some drives have different jumper settings for "Master with no Slave" and
> "Master with Slave present," so look out for that.) Regardless, the Master
> always has to be at the end of the cable (farthest from the motherboard)
> and the Slave at the middle of the cable.

I have never heard of an IDE requirement that says that the master must always
(i.e. even when using explicit master/slave jumpers) be the unit furtherest
away from the motherboard.  No one else that I checked with, seems to have
heard that either.  I know you this this wasn't authoritative, but I still
have to ask.  Are you sure?