dual drive

Corbett Battaile ccb at ydl.net
Sun Nov 28 16:58:02 MST 2004

I have to admit, I WAS pretty sure until I read your post and decided to do
some digging. It didn't take me long to find the information I was looking
for, e.g.:
	<http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20020806/>
And, of course, you're right - according to the information I found, the
placement of IDE drives doesn't matter as long as they're explicitly
jumpered as Master and Slave. And all these years, I've been living a lie!
:)  (Albeit a safe and harmless lie.)

On the other hand, it is apparently recommended that a lone (Master) drive
be placed at the end of the cable to avoid signal problems. Maybe that's
where I got the wrong impression. And some IDE cables explicitly mark the
two connectors as Master and Slave, but that's probably for the very same
reason.

As the saying goes, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the
correction!

--
Corbett Battaile