Need help perfecting Video Capture

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+ydl at helsinki.fi
Mon Nov 29 02:04:31 MST 2004

> I am having a little problem perfecting video capture on my YDL mac.  I
> am currently trying to setup my old Formac ProTV II video tuner under
> linux so I can capture video.  This is one of the reasons I installed
> linux to begin with since Formac DID NOT develope drivers for the ProTV
> cards for Mac OS X.  My setup is a Sawtooth based Power Mac G4 running
> at 400mhz.  I have recomiled a 2.4 kernel and included the Video4Linux
> drivers.

You need to enable I2C related items in the kernel configuration first,
then you need to enable BT848 Video For Linux.  (The option for selecting
BT848 does not appear at all if you haven't enabled I2C support and I2C
bit-banging interfaces in the character device section.)

You obviously need to load the module for it to work.  Have you
followedthe instructions for doing so, which can be found in the
Documentation/video4linux/bttv/README file under the Linux kernel
source directory?

> [root at mainYDLmac xawtv-3.94]# xawtv
> This is xawtv-3.94, running on Linux/ppc (2.4.25-ben1-nwpmac1)
> can't open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l: open /dev/video0: No such device
> no video grabber device available

I believe you haven't loaded the bttv module.  No amount of symlinking
can change that (regards to whoever posted after you).  The output from
dmesg, which the previous poster already asked you to send, will confirm
that.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,