Just curious (additional)

GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 slugg0 at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 2 07:08:34 MDT 2004

GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 wrote:

>> In an effort to understand what is happening when yaboot starts my
>> computer, I have looked at the partition map of the HD (80 Gb Maxtor
>> IDE)  and found the following.  hda1-8 are all less than 1 Mb and
>> take up the first 2 sectors of the HD.  Next there is a 128 Mb free
>> space. hda10 is an hfs+ partition and is 31011 Mb in size.  This is
>> my OSX partition.  Then another 128 Mb free space.  hda12 is also an
>> hfs+ partition and is 5997 Mb in size.  This is my OS9 partition.
>> hda9 is the yaboot hfs partition and is 1 Mb in size.  hda11 is my
>> 1000 Mb linux swap partition and hda13 is my 10000 Mb ext3 YDL
>> partition.  This leaves 29901 Mb of free space at the end of the
>> drive.  Below is my
>

> <SNIP>
>
> Some of you may remember this thread from awhile back.  As an update,
> I finally got around to repartitioning my B&W HD as it should be.  Now
> my bootstrap is located on HDA9, OS9 is HDA11 and OSX is HDA13.  The
> original problem I had was that when I went into OS9 and tried to
> restart the computer, it would hang, basically just a blank screen.
> Now that I have redone everything, both OSX and OS9 cause this
> problem!  The only time I get the yaboot screen is when I restart from
> YDL.  The original problem was thought to be because of the odd
> location of my bootstrap drive but now it's in the "right" location.
> Any ideas?

Forgot to mention that the only way to recover from this condition is to
reset the PRAM (Command-Option-P-R).  If I go into the Open Firmware
screen I get the following error message twice at the top of the screen:

NO ADDRESS PROPERTY FOUND!

Is this a clue?  Typing mac-boot at the prompt then takes me back to the
yaboot screen as it should.

Just a message from Doug...