Partitions and disk space

Steven J. Norton sjnorton at okno.com
Mon Oct 4 08:45:01 MDT 2004

Hello, all --

Here are some questions I've been meaning to ask for a while now: if you
check out the disk space report from LogWatch on my YDL web server
(reprinted below), you'll note that my /usr and /home partitions are quite
large and only sparsely used, while the /var partition (home to the content
files of my web server) is much smaller -- and already 17% full and
climbing. I had accepted the partition scheme suggested by the YDL installer
when this was set up.

So here goes:
1) Is there a non-destructive way to change the size of existing partitions
(i.e. can I retrieve some space from, say, /home and give it to /var)?

2) If so, which partitions that currently have extra space can be safely
made smaller? Since I'm not using this as my main computer, I am assuming
that /home does not need to be this big as there will not be too many user
files. What about /usr -- if I'm not installing a bunch of productivity
software, will this ever grow much?

[This is on an old beige G3 with a fresh 80 Gb hard drive and running YDL
3.01, by the way.]

I know that I can tell Apache to look elsewhere on the disk for content
files, but I'd much rather keep everything inside /var/www/ for both
security and sanity reasons. Of course, this isn't really a problem yet, but
I've only just really started using the server and I want to head off
problems if I can. Any advice appreciated!

  -- Steve

/dev/hda14            496M  120M  350M  26% /
/dev/hda12             16G  146M   15G   1% /home
none                  187M     0  187M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda10             44G  1.6G   39G   4% /usr
/dev/hda13           1008M  155M  802M  17% /var