Automatic Reboot?

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 4 20:49:52 MDT 2004

Hi Drew,

On Mon Oct 4 2004, Drew Lane wrote:

> That is an interesting thread, albeit somewhat complicated to setup.

Not that complicated actually.  On old world machines, as root, do:

	/bin/echo -ne "\001\023\001" > /etc/powerup-boot
	/bin/echo -ne "\001\023\000" > /etc/powerup-off

Then add the following line to the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

	cat /etc/powerup-boot >> /dev/adb

If you want to go back to the default behavior, change powerup-boot
above to powerup-off.

Use at your own risk, but I do this on a 7500 I use as a router and
it works fine for me.

> However, he says at the end of his message:
>
> P.S.  The Power Saving Control Panel should also work fine I think since
>       it should effectively be doing the same thing by setting the
>       CUDA_FILE_SERVER_FLAG parameter in the PRAM.
>
> So, this would be the easiest way to handle the situation.
>
> However, the "advanced" option in the energy saver control panel
> is not showing up on my Performa 6360 (which I am using to test with
> before I power down my server).
>
> What does this mean exactly?  That option is not supported on this machine?

It should be there.  Just a wild guess that maybe your battery on
the Performa 6360 is dead.  I'm also not familiar with that specific
model.  If the 6360 happened to be a NuBus system, then that might
explain it also.  I'm pretty sure it should be there on a 7600.

						-Bill

P.S.  It could also be dependent on the version of MacOS you're
      running.  I just checked a 9.0.4 MacOS and it was there.