AppleTalk on Linux

John C. Welch jwelch at bynkii.com
Mon Oct 4 21:52:41 MDT 2004

On 10/4/04 8:58 PM, "R. McFarlane" <ydl at mcfarlanecomputing.net> wrote:

>> All I did was fireup WebMin and turned on atalk! Both our OS 9 and OS X
>> laptops logged in through an 802.11b network (well, the base station is a
>> NetGear 802.11g but both cards are 802.11b... I didn't think NetGear
>> supported AppleTalk over wireless but I guess they added that feature in
>> the 624). Maybe having Samba turned on smoothed the way but I don't think
>> so...
>
>          atalk runs over TCP so it has nothing to do with your network
> gear. I got atalk running on my YDL 3.0.1 PB 3400c with 2 servers (1 for
> guests and 1 for users). Having an issue though with atalk allowing
> read-write access to my HFS mounts of MacOS 9 and it's applications. Any
> one have any idea why when I mount my HFS volumes, only root has full access?

Nonononono...AppleTalk does NOT run over TCP/IP. That's like saying the
Queen Mary uses I-95 to get to New York.

AFP, Apple File Protocol runs over TCP/IP or AppleTalk. That is what you are
talking about.

And yes, the difference IS important.

john

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com              Mac and other opinions
jwelch at bynkii.com