Making a script executable

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:12:20 MDT 2004

> > 2nd question: I probably have to be root to mount a hfs+
> > partition... how
> > can I build that into the script?
>
>Your script can say this:
>
>   sudo mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/macosx -thfsplus
>
>but there's a much easier way.
>

>I would have written it this way:
>
>   exec /bin/mount /mnt/macosx
>
>And then I would have made this entry in my /etc/fstab file:
>
>   /dev/hdc7   /mnt/macosx   hfsplus  user,noauto  0  0
>
>Then you can just run your mg script and it will mount for you without root
>permissions.
>
>My question to you: Why don't you just put the entry in the fstab file and
>mount it automatically? If you want to do that, just replace the above
>"user,noauto" with "defaults" and you'll be set.

Thank you for these very insightful comments Bill! (& everyone else who made
similar suggestions). I'll be reading up on exec to see what it does (when I
get done work) & I'll experiment with auto-magically mounting the partition
at boot (which would obviate the need to reformt the HD as I was planning to
do).

Eric.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.