Repair - Reinstall - Restore

Brian McKee besomethingelse at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:04:58 MDT 2004

Hi Olaf
	Are you sure all of X is toast?
I have had problems with _KDE_ after inappropriate shutdown.
Solution was to rm -rf /tmp/* as root.

I gather you aren't running ext3 partitions?
Journalling can help a lot in this situation.

I haven't tried this with a YDL disc, but the RH recovery solution is to
type 'linux rescue' as the boot prompt of the installation disc.

FWIW
Brian

On Wednesday, October 6, 2004, at 12:56  PM, Olaf Olson wrote:

> I had a power drop here. Unfortunately, as some others have pointed
> out, the UPS doesn't always have enough juice to make it through a
> shutdown, especially since shutdown's not automatic. PLEASE DO NOT
> work.  I will ask the question later, about auto shutdown while on a
> UPS, I need to ask the bigger question:
>
> How do I recover? I have several holes in the recovered disk,
> specifically, XFree86 is hosed, so no X. I can, of course, boot from
> the CD and completely reinstall, but that appears to include
> repartitioning, which will destroy everything. I don't want stuff
> destroyed. Also, it appears that samba isn't working, wither, so I
> can't go to other machines in my network and pull my data off so I can
> then reinstall the whole thing.
>
> I thought I once saw a posting here about booting to a recovery CD,
> but I can't find that in the archives. Also, the only disk of the 6 I
> got with YDL 3.0.1 is the installation CD and it wants to go directly
> to installation.
>
> I can boot to console only - no X, so I can run yum and the like, but
> there isn't any command like "yum
> reinstallEverythingThatIsMissingFromTheOriginalInstall" so I am really
> not certain how to go about fixing it all.
>
> Of course, backup procedures seem to be a good preventative measure. I
> will work on that for the future and will probably post a few
> questions along that line, too. PLEASE don't reply to this post with
> backup solutions. Start a new thread if you plan on giving advice
> about that, as it makes the searches go a bit easier, when looking for
> things in the archive.
>
> I have a G3 B&W, with 256Mb RAM, a 20 Gb drive and the stock video.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Olaf

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.