Headless YellowDog

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Thu Oct 7 13:09:25 MDT 2004

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:20:34 -0500, Ben Ricker
> <bricker at brick.net> wrote:
> > I want to run Yellow Dog running Gnome without a monitor. Instead, I
> > want to use VNC from my laptop.
> >
> > I have VncServer running great and I boot into OS 9 then
> automatically
> > into Linux. When it comes up, I can VNC into the box and get the X
> > server running. It is your basic X server with the default window
> > manager and xterm up.
> >
> > I looked all over Google for a step-by-step or even I high
> level config
> > for it.
> >
> > Also, I start gdm at boot on runlevel 5 and X keeps
> crashing with a "no
> > screens found" error.

You don't need runlevel 5 to run X. Change it to 3. The only thing 5 will do
is give you X on the console, but that's not what you want.

You said you've gotten VNCserver to fire up, so you've obviously already
used vncpasswd. All you have to do is tell it which server you want it to
use (:1, :2, :3, etc.) and then configure your ~/.vnc/xstartup file for
bringing up Gnome.

Here's mine:

> longman$ cat xstartup
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startblackbox

Yours would use /usr/bin/startgnome, probably.

In my /etc/init.d/vncserver script, here's the important line:

VNCSERVERS="3:longman"

or, as the init script says, you can change this in
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers. Same diff.

To log into my session, I use "vncservermachine:3" from my client.