Headless YellowDog

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 05:40:47 MDT 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:09:25 -0700, Longman, Bill <longman at sharplabs.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:20:34 -0500, Ben Ricker
> > <bricker at brick.net> wrote:
> > > I want to run Yellow Dog running Gnome without a monitor. Instead, I
> > > want to use VNC from my laptop.
<snip>
> You said you've gotten VNCserver to fire up, so you've obviously already
> used vncpasswd. All you have to do is tell it which server you want it to
> use (:1, :2, :3, etc.) and then configure your ~/.vnc/xstartup file for
> bringing up Gnome.
>
> Here's mine:
>
> > longman$ cat xstartup
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > # Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
> > exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startblackbox
>
> Yours would use /usr/bin/startgnome, probably.

I had VNCserver serving up GNOME yeseterday without having done
anything to set it up. Today it didn't work (came up with grey
screen... XWindows?) & I had to modify the xstartup file but could
only figure out how to get KDE to launch (& I do prefer GNOME).

How does one get gnome to start? I found startkde in /usr/bin and it's
allowed me to get kde running in vnc. No such thing as startgnome in
/usr/bin :(

Would VNC run noticeably faster if it were operating over a 100 BaseT
network and not 10 BaseT + 802.11b (VNCserver is on YDL on a 266 MHz
G3 and client is on a 400 MHz OS X G3 (yes, the more powerful machine
is the client ;-))?

Eric.