Headless YellowDog

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 08:37:38 MDT 2004

My apologies if this is post # 2. I don't think it went through to the
list the first time.

>I had VNCserver serving up GNOME yeseterday without having done
>anything to set it up. Today it didn't work (came up with grey
>screen... XWindows?) & I had to modify the xstartup file but could
>only figure out how to get KDE to launch (& I do prefer GNOME).
>
>How does one get gnome to start? I found startkde in /usr/bin and it's
>allowed me to get kde running in vnc. No such thing as startgnome in
>/usr/bin :(
>
>Would VNC run noticeably faster if it were operating over a 100 BaseT
>network and not 10 BaseT + 802.11b (VNCserver is on YDL on a 266 MHz
>G3 and client is on a 400 MHz OS X G3 (yes, the more powerful machine
>is the client ;-))?

I've got a little bit of a clarification:

startvnc run from my 'bob' account requires me to specify startkde in the
xstartup file in ~/.vnc but if I run it from 'root' (which I also ran
separately yesterday) it boots up GNOME with the default ~/.vnc setting. I'm
guessing there's something else that got changed for my 'bob' account

I was fiddling around with the "Switch Desktop" application so I suspect it
changed a setting somewhere... also, logging into the 'default' session on
the computer itself would cause it to exit with an error saying 'Your
session lasted less than 10 seconds. Ya di ya di da. Try failsafe ya di ya
di da'. Anyway, I tried failsafe, didn't know what to do with it (all it
gave me was a terminal), exit, then I just selected "GNOME" from the
Sessions list and it worked fine. It popped up a yes-no question when I
logged in and out of habit I clicked Yes (and I'm kicking myself for not
actually reading it... I suspect it was asking if GNOME should be set as the
default for login)).

So, anyway, now my one account 'bob' requires me to specify startkde (&
whatever the gnome equivalent might be) to get a GUI (aside from XWindows...
which I don't know how to use yet) in VNC. I'm guessing a config file has
been changed but I haven't had the opportunity to track it down yet.

Eric.