Headless YellowDog

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Sat Oct 9 02:02:49 MDT 2004

Longman, Bill wrote:

> You don't need runlevel 5 to run X. Change it to 3. The only thing 5 will do
> is give you X on the console, but that's not what you want.
>
> You said you've gotten VNCserver to fire up, so you've obviously already
> used vncpasswd. All you have to do is tell it which server you want it to
> use (:1, :2, :3, etc.) and then configure your ~/.vnc/xstartup file for
> bringing up Gnome.
>
> Here's mine:
>
> <snip>

Hi,

I've been following this thread with increasing interest. But as VNC is
a new area for me, not all is very clear.

I have a server in the basement running Mandrake 10. It also comes with
a VNC server. Up until now, I always started an X session locally on the
machine, used the Remote Desktop Connection tool to start a vnc server,
and then could login from the YDL box on my desk.

Obviously, that's less the practical.

So here are some questions that could further improve my VNC experience:

What is meant exactly with 'servers' in the above quote ? Is this in the
(for me confusing) context of X where the screen you are working on is
the server, and the machine being connected to the client ? If so, what
exactly is meant with the :1, :2 and so on ? Until now, I always used :0
which I was told to do in a former employment in a unix environment.

I understand that I don't need to connect to the local X session on the
server in the basement, but VNC can start it's own X session. Great!

Next point: I would like to display the VNC session on my YDL box in a
separate console (or virtual terminal?), like MOL can be run in a
separate console. I haven't managed that just yet. I only can have a
window in my existing X session on my YDL box. What magic should be
performed here ?

Also, as I am using the system now, when I open the Remote Desktop
Connection tool on my YDL box, it starts with the following error message:

"Browsing the network is not possible. You probably did not install SLP
support correctly"

I have no clue what SLP is all about, and even less of a clue how to
install it. Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Geert Jan