R-R-R Revisited

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Thu Oct 7 15:02:21 MDT 2004

I received an answer to my question, via the yum mail list. The answer
is simple - mostly. Remove the kernel upgrade! Since it isn't really
being used, remove it and yum update kernel and voila! Pardon my French.

So... how to do that:

rpm -e kernel-2.4.22-2g

and then yum update kernel

That's according to Seth Vidal, Mr. YUM, himself. I also got advice to:

rpm -e --justdb --nodeps packagename

but I had a little trouble understanding that packagename wasn't kernel,
but was kernel-2.4.22-2g

The second form would just remove the single package and not touch the
dependencies. justdb means only the database, not the filesystem, which
should mean that it would force yum to believe that an update or install
hadn't taken place and would, therefore, redo it. The latter is helpful
when something's not working right, but you don't want it to stop
working completely before you reinstall it.

Anyway, I'm now fully restored and happily running.

Olaf