install on 9600

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Fri Oct 8 10:54:13 MDT 2004

<snip>
> I get to the prompt, log in no problems. I type startx, screen goes
> blank, nothing. I restart computer look at the instructions, it tells
> me to type xautoconfig. Then it mentions that I should be at a
> graphical screen. No such luck, it simply says wrote file and
> goes back
> to a prompt. I tried startx again, goes blank nothing. I let
> it sit for
> 15 minutes, nothing.
>
> Any ideas?

Bob, you should look through the log files first. You'll find them in
/var/log/XF86*. Right now, I wouldn't even use "startx", just do this from
your generic bash shell prompt once you first log in:

export DISPLAY=:0
X &

and see what happens. What *should* happen is that X starts doing its thing,
initializes the display, and takes you to the X virtual console (#7). Get
back to your original session by pressing Cmd-Opt-F1 and see if you still
have your bash prompt. You should. The "jobs" command should show one
session running in the background. And you should see some text, too, about
what that X process was doing. Look through the log file, too. If you are
still not getting anything, go back to the X session with Cmd-Opt-F7 then
kill the X session with Cmd-Opt-Backspace. Post your /etc/X11/XF86config
file and we can work out the best settings for your 9600.