Headless YellowDog

Brian McKee besomethingelse at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:41:39 MDT 2004

You can 'tune' VNC to run on slower links by choosing lower resolution,
fewer colours,
and different compressions.  Often it's set up out of the box assuming
you have
a fast LAN.  Try running vncserver --geometry 640x480 --depth 8  and
then turn on all the
compression options in your client software too.  It'll be quite a bit
faster,
but not as pretty.
As an aside - the 'Remote Desktop Viewer' that comes with the KDE
package for YDL 3
is snappier than any of the OS X viewers I've tried.  Dunno why, but
the 'slow link'
option there is very good.
HTH
Brian

--
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.