Headless YellowDog

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:55:42 MDT 2004

VNC is cool! (or else I'm a computer geek ;). Right now I'm typing
this message in a FireFox browser that's running on a VNC session
served up on a Linux box, being accessed by a client on Mac OS X
(VNCThing), itself being served up by a VNC server running on OS X,
being accessed by a client (Remote Desktop Connections) on YDL again.

Wow, why doesn't Apple bundle VNC with OS X? (not stable enough yet?)

PS The OS X VNC server is at www.redstonesoftware.com (OSX vnc). I
found it by googling for vncserver mac os x. It was the first hit.

PSS Accessing the OSX vnc using VNCThing running on the same computer
isn't the greatest idea if you're running full screen and have command
keys disabled. You'll have to command-excape and kill VNCThing ;) to
get your desktop back. Also, to have mouse access (on YDL) I had to
set the Remote Desktop Connectio to the second-highest quality
setting.

Eric.