What gives?

GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 slugg0 at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 9 19:05:26 MDT 2004

GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 wrote:

> Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
>
>> hd:,\\:tbxi
>>
>> That is the correct default. What you need is some help in hacking the
>> flasher program to think you have old firmware. It would take about the
>> same amount of effort as shipping back to Apple. I might have done it
>> myself, but I would need access to a B&W for a couple of days in
>> order to
>> do so. If you're handy with MacsBug, you might try it yourself.

>>> After much reading, troubleshooting, testing, reinstalling, etc., I
>>> have come to the conclusion that my firmware is corrupted.  I can
>>> run a single OS and the machine will boot/reboot just fine, but just
>>> as soon as I install and try to boot from another OS, the entire
>>> process grinds to a halt.  From what I've read, there should be a
>>> good deal more to my boot-device in OF than:
>>>
>>> hd:,\\:tbxi
>>>
>>> But that is what it is and each time I try to set-default I get a
>>> bad default error message.  A single zap of the PRAM will allow me
>>> to boot again, but this is not as it should be.  Also trying to use
>>> the firmware update from Apple just results in the message that my
>>> firmware is up-to-date.  It may be that, but it ain't right!  The
>>> only alternatives I see is to purchase another motherboard on Ebay
>>> or ship mine back to Apple and have them to reflash the boot rom.  I
>>> have an idea of what the motherboard option will cost, but does
>>> anyone know how much it would cost to have Apple to fix it?  Also if
>>> anyone has any other suggestions on how to fix this problem I am
>>> more than willing to listen.  TIA
>>>
>>> Just a message from Doug...
>>>

> So you think the problem is not with the default boot device but
> somewhere else?  Of course I have no way of knowing what it is before
> I zap the PRAM as I can't get it to come up in OF without first
> zapping the PRAM.  So if the default is messed up, how come zapping
> brings it back to the default?  I'm very confused...
>
> Just a message from Doug...

More information on this problem.  I found yet another web forum where
this command was issued and it seems that all this time I have been
typing it in wrong.  The command is supposed to be set-defaults instead
of set-default.  Typing it in that way on my machine works just fine.  I
also got a confirm of this from the G-List where I have been
cross-posting in an effort to solve this nagging problem.  Note that it
did not fix the problem, but I feel somewhat less inclined to think I
have a corrupted firmware now.  BTW, I still get the "no address
property found!" listed twice at the top of the OF screen after zapping
the PRAM.  That is my only real clue at the moment.  Seems to me the
problem is a corrupted PRAM as that is where the boot disk and partition
info is held.  Is there any way to look at the contents of the PRAM from
YDL or OSX?

Just a message from Doug...