NewWorld "Blue & White" Mac Powerpc install -- problems with firewire and aec62xx driver.

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Mon Oct 11 12:14:39 MDT 2004

Nope.  Never did get it resolved.

I think it will take a custom recompile of the kernel with the assumed
bus speed jammed to 33MHz (or maybe 66MHz) for that card.

The reason I think this (hit it with a hammer) approach might work is
that the Debian 2.6.8 kernel has the same problem on my B&W, but the
same (Debian) kernel works fine on my beige G3 mini-tower.  Some
debugging messages I saw in the "dmesg" output (early boot-time kernel
console messages -- before syslog starts up) on the Beige indicate that
the PCI bus speed is being assumed to be set to 33MHz for this machine.
I don't see similar messages on the B&W.  So I'm guessing that the B&W
gives the kernel an optimistic idea of it's native bus speed.  I'm
further guessing that the Beige is either more honest or doesn't report
any bus speed at all.   So I'm guessing that this is what causes the
problem on the B&W.

I'll give it a try when I've got the time.

Keep in touch!  Let me know what you find out.  And CC the list.  There
are probably others out there with similar problems.

Even though YDL support staff don't seem to read the list, the users
community does pretty well on it's own, and deserves all the relevant
data we can give them.

Enjoy!

Rick