NewWorld "Blue & White" Mac Powerpc install -- problems with firewire and aec62xx driver.

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Mon Oct 11 13:30:45 MDT 2004

"Use the source, Luke!"

On Oct 11, 2004, at 2:38 PM, Bill Buchanan wrote:

> Tx for the information. I am relatively new to Linux in detail (i.e
> recompiling kernels is Ok) but I am not sure how to fix the bus at
> 66Mhz.

I don't know how to do that either.  My plan is to go back to the
Debian log files and get the exact text of the message that put me onto
this trail.  Then I'm going to grep for (several different parts) of
that message in the kernel source.  When I find the source of the
message, I'll follow the code around it a bit until I find out how it's
being done on the Beige.  Then more code snooping until I figure out
why it's *not* being done on the B&W.  Then I'll figure out how to get
around that and force it to be done on the B&W too.  With a little
luck, I'll be able to generalize the code so it will do it on *all*
B&Ws and *only* B&Ws.  Then I'll have a patch of general applicability
that I can submit to the upstream developers.

It will take some time and concentration, but it's doable.  That's why
I use open source software anywhere I can.  Try that plan with Windows!

Rick