[OT] - Downloadable Mac OS

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 17:04:29 MDT 2004

--- Eric Dunbar <> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:00:49 -0400, Rick Thomas
> <> > The reason no PowerPC Linux distro provides such a CD is that
the
> > drivers are Apple proprietary code.  The commercial houses that
> sell
> > bootable CDs all (presumably) pay Apple for a license.
> >
> > I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that if I owned a legally
> licensed
> > copy of a MacOS9 install CD, I could -- for my own private use
> within
> > the privacy of my own home -- legally copy the relevant driver
> > partitions off of it to make an OldWorld bootable Linux CD-ROM.
> > think it would be a fun experiment, but I haven't tried it.
>
> I'm no lawyer either... However, I suspect that that using the
> drivers
> without installing the OS would be a violation of the licence (I'm
> not
> about to read through the licence to confirm it ;-). Normally
> you're
> only allowed to do a certain amount with software that you get to
> install and I imagine you're not allowed to do anything with the
> driver.
>
> But, as for practicalities, I don't imagine Apple would do anything
> you if you had copies of the CDs on hand (and, didn't distribute
> it).
> Also, there may be CD drivers (that could boot a G3 SCSI or IDE) in
> the 7.5.5 install that you could use. You wouldn't be able to
> distribute them, but you probably could make your own for personal
> use.
>
> ERic.

Ah, the can't distribute part annoys me.  I want to be able to get
this together so us oldworld mac users can use hardware without mac
os.  OS "anything beforee X" isn't that great.  What use is hardware
if you can't use it?

NQ

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar