miboot links

Brian Barr barr at coastal.ufl.edu
Thu Oct 14 05:46:46 MDT 2004

Using the hint found at the bottom of all YDL mail digests (HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'), I found the following on miBoot:

guides to use:
(oringinally from http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-July/015029.html):

http://www.tanneryd.com/twiki/bin/view/Techstuff/YDLOnPowerCurveInstall

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/006938.html

It looks like Daniel Gimpelvich is the guy who knows how this works:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-July/015047.html

Here's where he provides the link:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-July/015050.html

and the link itself (which was still active this morning...):
http://homepage.mac.com/danielg4/miBoot.bin

>Yep, LinuxPPC used this method, but all the links and howtos are
>non-existent.  Miboot's main issue, from trolling the 'net, is
>recognizing the keyboard and mouse at bootup.  Can't login if you
>can't type in UN and PW.  Thanks for the miBoot reference.

Now correct me if I am wrong (I jumped in the middle of this conversation), but I thought the goal was to run another OS without having MacOS installed.  The purpose of BootX and MiBoot is to get the machine up enough to point it at a kernel of somesort.  ONce the kenrel starts loading, *the kernel* provides mouse and keyboard drivers, and once the rest of the OS is up, then you log in.

As I said before, I have no problems using miBoot to boot my Power Center into YLD 3.1 and the mouse and keyboard work fine.  Heck, now I am thinking that a live CD would be a neat thing to try out!  I just starting using Ubuntu on my other machine, and they have a PPC distro as well, hmmm maybe give that a shot when I have some free time....