Export X Windows Display to YDL 4.0

Brian McKee besomethingelse at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 10:05:27 MDT 2004

	While you are trying to determine the problem, may I suggest an
alternate technique you may not be aware of?
(requires ssh to be installed on both ends, usually not an issue)

simply open konsole on powerbook and type
	ssh -X remoteUsername at addressOfMachineExportingXapp "pathToXapp"
enter your password and voila - all the other steps are no longer
required....

	I can't think of any reason off hand to do it via telnet except if
ssh is na on the exporting machine.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2004, at 11:11  AM, Butler, Thomas E. (US
SSA) wrote:

> Using a PowerBook with YDL 3.01 installed, in the past I have been able
> to export an externally running X windows application to the PowerBook
> with the following procedure:
>
> (1)    Open Konsole on YDL 3.01 PowerBook,  with IP address ww.xx.yy.zz
>
> (2)    xhost +
>
> (3)    telnet to machine which is to run X windows application
>
> (4)    In telnet window, on X windows application machine, export
> DISPLAY=ww.xx.yy.zz:0.0
>
> (5)    In telnet window, on X windows application machine, start
> application
>
> This gets the application windows to pop up on the YDL 3.01 Powerbook.
>
> Now when I try the same thing with YDL 4.0 installed on the Powerbook,
> at step (5) above I get the message "Error: Failed to open
> display....."
> .  Does anyone know what is going on ?

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.