YDL 4.x on a PowerBook 17"

Dan Rosenbloom dr at mightyindustry.com
Wed Oct 20 15:21:21 MDT 2004

I recently installed 4.0 on my 17" 1Ghz. I previously ran ydl3 on the
same machine.
there are a few little wierdnesses I'm still working out but overall it
rocks, no big problems except:
Trackpad issue:
the trackpad on the 17" is extra wide and YDL doesn't seem to be able to
handle it. it works fine in the center of the trackpad (roughly in the
area where a normal trackpad is) but the edges left and right pop up
contextual menus whenever you touch them - very frustrating. I've tried
disabling 3button mouse emulation and trackpad tapping but even with
emulation & tappiung disabled these menus pop up. I've posted a number
of times to the lists, but no one seems to have a solution.

I assume, somewhere in the trackpad configuration stuff is a physical
mapping of the trackpad area which no one has yet made configurable for
ordinary mortals(?).

Anyway, for the time being, I use a mouse, sometimes a wacom tablet
(although that config is a little dicey under YDL3 - I haven't gotten it
to work yet under YDL4).

Beyond this issue, overall I think it's working great. There was a video
issue under YDL3 with my model (I think because of the NVIDIA card -
yours is newer and I hear the newer cards work fine) I had to accept
default parameters during installation and then reset resolution once I
was up and running in Gnome otherwise the install crashed.

Also! I had to pass this particular extra parameter in booting up (can
be specified during installation) : "Linux nol3"
For some reason, during boot up, YDL3 wanted to address the level3 cache
that my computer does not have and kept hanging after addressing the USB
ports. this command took care of that problem though - so all's good
(may not be a problem for your model, I don't know)

good luck! (and let me know if your trackpad works!)
-Danny