YDL 4.x on a PowerBook 17"

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Wed Oct 20 16:46:07 MDT 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 1:33 PM, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR wrote:

> Yellow Dog Users:
>
> 	I would like to walk the Yellow Dog over to a new PowerBook 17 I
> just purchased (it is on its way to me as we speak), but from behind
> the
> curtain people seem to think that the LCD (GUI mode) will never work,
> and
> much hardware in the PB 17 is not supported.
>
> 	Any comments?
>

> Very Respectfully,
>
> IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR
> Beverly Hills, California

Hi,

	I've installed ydl 3.0.1 on a 15" PB 1.33GHz (so not the 17", but we
should have the same ATI Radeon 9700).  X did not work out of the box,
had to edit XF86Config and set the driver to fbdev.  No sound, the
monitor does dim and sleep when not used but no true hardware sleep,
but most crippling of all- no Airport Extreme support.  If you're a
die-hard linux and wireless man, get yourself a linux-supported pcmcia
wireless card (grep the list- it's been discussed).  Other small
things- the light on the latch doesn't work, the eject button DOES
work, haven't tried burning a cd or dvd yet so no report.  startmol -X
is awesome and I was working towards a box with a YDL partition, an OS
X partition and /Users || /home partition that would be nfs exported to
the MOL environment (192.168.2.2) so that I could use the same home
directory for my YDL and OSX account. (just imagine for a moment XF86
on ctrl+shft+F7 and OS X on ctrl+shft+F8)  i abandoned this plan
because the lack of hardware sleep and the extra outlay for wireless
were too much.  Good luck in your journey and I hope you will share
solutions you may find to any of the problems I've had and new ones you
encounter.  It's tough to run Linux on hardware that runs another *nix
so well...

Jurvis LaSalle