KDE, GNOME and older Power Macs

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Thu Oct 21 11:33:06 MDT 2004

> I've been wondering about that. How can you get "just" X running on
> YDL (as I type this from "Window Maker")?

If your machine is in runlevel 5, you can't do it. You have to go to
runlevel 3. Just do "init 3" and your "?dm" should disappear and you should
see the dreaded command line login prompt. Login and just run X from your
command line:

[user at host$] X &

Then X starts and that's it. You get a greyish screen with a little X that
moves all around with your mouse. Congratulations. You're running *just* the
X window server.

If you want to actually run a program, you have to get back to your original
command prompt and fire off any commands from there. That's why the "xinit"
command was invented. It runs the X server *and* another command, usually
xterm by default. You would use xinit instead of the stupid two step
first-I-run-X and then switch-back-to-CLI-and-run-xterm. Look through the
man page for xinit and enjoy.