YD 4

tvawter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:58:17 -0500

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Gavin Hemphill wrote:
>=20
> > Ryan:
> >     I'd check your provider first.  My downloads of YDL4rc2 took 7
hrs=20
> for=20
> > the 4 ISO's for the 040811 version on August 12th  and 3.5 hours for=20
> the=20
> > 040812 version on August 14th.
>=20
> I did not have problems downloading YD4 since the alpha versions.
> But, There is not too much bandwidth dedicated to ydl.net (I think
2MBit=20
> or so ... And more and more people with an enhanced account are trying=20
> to=20
> download it... when there are 10 simultanious downloads you wont get=20
> more=20
> than 200KBit/second (around 20KByte/s) ...
>=20
> > You should also note that this is only YDL4rc2 - YDL4 has not been=20
> > released yet and its not ready as far as I can tell since it wont
boot=20
> > my silver G4.  It works on my TI Powerbook though.
>=20
> Did not have problems on my G4 QuickSilver 867MHz ... On RC1 there
where=20
> problems with graphical install, that is fixed ...
>=20
> YDL4 also runs smooth on my #2 Apple Network Server ...
>=20
> The 2.6.8 kernel is really great ...
> Overall YDL4 is the best PPC release ever !
>=20
> E.
>=20
I too was disappointed with the download speed.  I live in a remote area
where high speed will give even John Kerry a challenge.  I had thought
that I could download the ISOs from the "fast" connection at the
community college where I work.  But after an hour of watching the time
to complete bounce between 10 and 13 hours, I packed it up (and hoped
for some other benefit from an enhanced account).  I am ready to get
the CDs.

Tom Vawter =20