I need some help -> Encore Fast Ethernet (RTL-8139 D) and ASDL

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:00:39 +0300 (EEST)

> > Please post the output of /sbin/lspci to the list.
>
> 00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 2106 (rev 8b)

(Would you also submit the output of dmesg right after the machine has
 booted?)

OK, that doesn't look like a RealTek based card, but I may be wrong.

Your pci.ids file is probably outdated.  You can download a replacement
from http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids (in YDL 2.3 it is in
/usr/share; I don't know where it is in 3.x, but I'd wager it's
either in /usr/share or /usr/share/hwdata).

However, it appears that even the brand spankin' newest pci.ids does not
contain an explanation for VIA Technologies' unknown device with the PCI
ID 2106.  It won't be surprising if the card is not supported by any
Linux drivers if nobody's ever seen such a card before.

You can submit an entry for this card to the PCI IDs list at

<URL:http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=1106:sub=1>

(1106 is VIA Technologies, Inc)

Your explanation should at least tell which chipset the card is using.
You can find this out by taking out the card and looking at the labels
on the chips.  If it seems like too much trouble, could you please take
a digital photograph of the card's front side (so the labels are visible)
and either post it on a public website or send it to me in personal
e-mail so I can submit the PCI IDs entry (and perhaps even help you
figure out which driver, if any, would be appropriate for this card).

> I just downloaded it. I didn't found any pppoe module at my YDL, I
> think it isn't part of the system.

<URL:http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/software/included/details.php?app_id=679&var=description&find=pppoe>

seems to think it is, though.

But you'll need working Ethernet to get anything useful out of PPP
over Ethernet...

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,