Semi newbie question

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:23:15 -0500

Mr. Doug:

GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 wrote:
> What's the best way to share an osx partition while running ydl?  The
> machine is a B&W G3 400 Mhz, 80Gb HD, 896 Mb RAM running ydl 3.0.1 and
> os 10.3.5.  Here is the line I'm using in my fstab file to mount the
> partition:
>
> /dev/hda10 /home/doug/osx hfs defaults 0 0

That looks to be close, but not quite right. For instance, the
traditional place to mount a disk partition is within the "/mnt"
directory (for instance, you will see a mounting point for CD-ROMs in
/mnt/cdrom). First of all, be sure that your HFS partition really is
"hda10," and not, say, hda9 or hda11. You will have to create a mount
point within /mnt for your HFS partition:

[doug]% su
Password: ******

This gets you root privileges.

[root@doug]% mkdir /mnt/macos

This create a new "mount point" and names it "macos"

[root@doug]% mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/macos -thfs

This mounts the hfs partition (hda10) at /mnt/macos

Now, take a look at this post, taken from when *I* was trying to learn
how to mount an HFS partition:

<http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-newbie/2003-August/004258.html>

*Very* important: do not try to mount the partition between Yellow Dog
Linux and Mac-on-Linux at the same time!

Best wishes,
Clint