Semi newbie question

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:40:40 -0700

Strange how it happens that two people can be thinking and/or
questioning the same thing at the same time. Maybe not, if you consider
our numbers, but...

I was just trying to move some stuff from my YDL 3.0.1 installation on a
G3 B&W, to the Mac OSX partition on the drive. pdisk reports:

[root@PlanB-YDL proc]# pdisk -l

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #:                type name               length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                  63 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 64
 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 120
 4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 176
 5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 232
 6:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh             512 @ 288
 7:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh             512 @ 800
 8:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition       512 @ 1312
 9:           Apple_HFS "Macintosh HD_1" 10485760 @ 1824     (  5.0G)
10:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled             2048 @ 10487584 (  1.0M)
11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled         18026284 @ 10489632 (  8.6G)
12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled          6592468 @ 28515916 (  3.1G)
13:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled          1048576 @ 35108384 (512.0M)
14:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              1834560 @ 36156960 (895.8M)
15:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled          2096640 @ 37991520 (1023.8M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=40088160 (19.1G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 120, type=0xffff
3:  21 @ 176, type=0x701
4:  34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

That suggests that sda9 is the drive I want to write to.

I followed your instructions, although I am more of an anarchist, and
stuck the mountpoint at the / level, rather than /mnt. Anyway, it
mounted, with no errors. This is all I see, when I list the directory:

[root@PlanB-YDL mol]# ls -al
total 169
drwxr--r--    4 root     root           10 Mar 26 21:21 .
drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         1024 Sep  4 17:18 ..
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root        86016 Mar 26 21:21 Desktop DB
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar 26 21:21 Desktop DF
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar 26 21:21 Finder
dr-xr--r--    2 root     root           10 Mar 26 21:21 .finderinfo
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root         1781 Mar 26 21:21 ReadMe
dr-xr--r--    2 root     root           10 Mar 26 21:21 .resource
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          300 Mar 26 21:21 .rootinfo
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar 26 21:21 System

Just for grins, I read the ReadMe file (It's those friendly capital
letters) and found this:

This hard disk is formatted with the Mac OS Extended format. Your files
and info
rmation are still on the hard disk, but you cannot access them with the
version
To access your files you must mount this hard disk on a computer that
has Mac OS
 8.1 or later installed. To determine the version of system software
youÕre curr
ently using, choose About This Computer from the Apple menu. If youÕre
using a v
ersion of the Mac OS earlier than 8.1, you must do one of the following:
A) upgr
ade the system software on your computer, B) start up the computer from
a hard d
isk or CD that has Mac OS 8.1 or later, or C) connect the hard disk to
another c
If you want to access the files without upgrading your system software,
start up
 your computer with the ÒMac OS 8.1Ó CD or the ÒDisk Tools PPCÓ disk,
then acces
s your files. Apple recommends that you have the ÒMac OS 8.1Ó CD if you
plan to
To continue to use this hard disk with this computer, you must upgrade
your syst
If you have a version of system software earlier than Mac OS 8, you can
order Ma
If you have Mac OS 8 on your computer, you can download the Mac OS 8.1
update fr
Apple and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in
the U.S.
and other countries. PowerPC is a registered trademark of International
Business
 Machines Corporation, used under license therefrom.

AHA! said I, or something to that effect. Although I recall carefully
reading the instructions for installing YDL 3.0, that said to partition
with an hfs format, not hfs+, apparently I used the Extended format.

Now, the tricky part. If I change fstab, to specify hfs+, I get a "not
supported on this kernel" message.

FINALLY - here is the question. How do I make it possible to read/write
hfs+, or what is the correct word to use to describe Mac OS Extended format?

Thanks

Olaf