Semi newbie question Read-Only

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:01:05 -0500

Mr. Olson:

Olaf Olson wrote:

> No insult intended. Mother just told me to be polite when
> addressing one's betters/

No insult taken. And I am *not* your better! We are all Yellowdog
Generals here. :-)

> What does this mean:
>
> *Very* important: do not try to mount the partition between
> Yellow Dog Linux and Mac-on-Linux at the same time!

Here is what I meant:

One of the very, very cool features of Yellow Dog Linux is that it has
in it Mac-on-Linux (MOL). MOL is exactly what it sound like: you can
boot up the Macintosh OS (either Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X) while running
Yellow Dog Linux. MOL can be booted either within an X window (for
instance, within KDE), or in a separate console (where it appears as if
you are running Mac OS all by itself). You can switch back and forth
between the two environments (although you cannot copy or paste
information between them directly). Like I said, very cool!

If you have MOL running, it will mount (as readable and writable) its
own boot partition, and any other Mac HFS or HFS+ partitions it sees. If
you switch back to the Linux environment, you must be sure not to try to
mount any of those partitions that are being used by the MOL
environment. If you do manage to mount, say, the MOL boot partition and
write data to it, you will likely hose the partition, or at least crash
the MOL environment.

Don't do that!

Best wishes,
Clint
(who is the very model of a modern Yellowdog General)