Compiling Mono (C#) on YDL?

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:15:56 +1000

Mono is not C#. It's an implementation of parts of the .NET standard.
It includes a CLR compatible runtime, a C# compiler, large parts of the
.NET api and some interesting non-Microsofty things like Gtk#, which is
a wrapper for the GTK/Gnome widget library and works nicely with Glade.
A great deal, but not all, of .NET including the specification for the
CLR and the C# language has been submitted to ECMA for standardisation.

I've built the Mono runtime, the C# compiler (mcs), Gtk# and
MonoDevelop, an IDE for use with Mono, from source on a G3 iBook
running PPC Linux. I'm using Debian so your mileage may vary.

The trick is to use the source tarballs available here:

http://www.mono-project.com/downloads/

Getting the CVS sources to build is diabolical. I think some of the
source is in C# and depends on a C# compiler which means you need Mono
installed to build Mono.

I'm fairly sure that if you just build the 'Mono Runtime 1.0.1' package
from the link above you'll end up with a complete working Mono, C#,
etc.

The gtk# packages are available here:

http://gtk-sharp.sourceforge.net/

Good luck,