Yellowdog Linux vs. Power Mac G4/G5

bruce woller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:42:24 -0600

Sorry about the confusion - I thought the 7400 was referring to the =20
tower model number not the CPU Id.  As in the Apple named  PowerMac =20
6100,7100,8100 which I see here =20
(http://www.macinfo.de/rechner/apple.html) were NuBus Macs (generation =20=

1 PPC).  Now I understand about the unintelligible naming convention.

Bruce
On Sep 9, 2004, at 6:10 PM, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

> No NuBus machines ever shipped with a 7400 processor (the first G4). =20=

> For
> some reason the everymac website doesn't list model names. According =20=

> to the
> apple-history website:
> http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=3Dgallery&model=3Dg4gi=
ga
> The model name is "Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)" and I know =20=

> for a
> fact that it can run 2.3; however, the multiprocessing kernel will not =
=20
> be
> installed by default -- you will have to do it manually.
> -- =20
> "No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"
>

>> From: bruce woller <brucewoller@comcast.net>
>> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.yellowdog.general
>> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:49:27 -0600
>> Subject: Re: Yellowdog Linux vs. Power Mac G4/G5
>>
>> Yes.  I successfully ran YDL 2.3 on a 800MHz DP Quick Silver (with =
SMP
>> enabled), dual IDE 80G disks (not SCSI but it should also work).  I
>> question the 7400 denomination - weren't those NuBus machines?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bruce
>> On Sep 9, 2004, at 3:05 PM, BIl Grove wrote:
>>
>>> thanks for the advice.=A0 I will try again.
>>>
>>> will Yellow Dog Linux 2.3 run on a Power Mac 7400 (G4) 450MHz Dual
>>> Processor, year 2000.=A0 This
>>> mac is described completely on everymac.com at
>>>
>>> http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/
>>> powermac_g4_450_dp.html
>>>
>>> I do not own this machine yet, but I need to make sure it will run
>>> YDL 2.3
>>>

>>> At 01:42 PM 9/9/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>>>
>>> Apple model numbers are undecipherable to most of us. To get a
>>> meaningful
>>> answer, please supply the Model Name as reported by Apple System
>>> Profiler.
>>> AFAIK, 4.0 will support all G4 machines, and 2.3 supported most, if
>>> not all,
>>> "desktop towers."
>>> --
>>> "No gnu's is good gnu's."=A0=A0 --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space =
Coaster"