YDL on a hopped-up 8600 ... i know it MIGHT, but WILL IT?

Julius Naim yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:20:58 +0100

Hi Richard

I'm pretty new to YDL and I gave just installed it on my 7600/132 with the
following

CPU XLR8 G3 500
RAM 448 Mb
9GB SCSI HD on built in SCSI
PCI USB/Firewire card (Ratoc PC1FU1P)
PCI UW SCSI card (ADPT 2940)
9GB UW SCSI HD

The install was rather painless and thanks to the clear simple install
guide;
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-single.pdf
BootX was easy to configure, capture the cache settings etc

I did run into a problem booting from my SCSI drive but update the kernel to
2.6.5 from http://www.ppckernel.org/ and was up and away.

I wouldn't know about the NICs but the ATA card is a definite.

Have a look at netBSD as an alternative option if you're not going to be
using the machine as a desktop but I don't really know the pros and cons
yet, I've got mountains of old hardware and am trying different options out
myself.  I like the fact it deals with the pre v3 open firmware as the
common linux oldworld BootX solution is a pain on smaller hard drives (and
I'm not bothering with miboot but plan to give quik a go)

Like I say, I'm new to all this just give it a go and see what you run into.

Ta

---
He's waving!