YDL on a hopped-up 8600 ... i know it MIGHT, but WILL IT?

OpenMacNews yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:36:25 -0700

hi julius,

thanks for the info! =)

> I'm pretty new to YDL and I gave just installed it on my 7600/132 with the
> following
>
> CPU XLR8 G3 500
> RAM 448 Mb
> 9GB SCSI HD on built in SCSI
> PCI USB/Firewire card (Ratoc PC1FU1P)
> PCI UW SCSI card (ADPT 2940)
> 9GB UW SCSI HD

that's encouraging ...

> The install was rather painless and thanks to the clear simple install
> guide;
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-single.pdf

helpful, thx!

> BootX was easy to configure, capture the cache settings etc
>
> I did run into a problem booting from my SCSI drive but update the kernel to
> 2.6.5 from http://www.ppckernel.org/ and was up and away.

as far as you know, does YDL v4 "win" you anything? which kernel is it built on ... (i'm sure its on the site somehwere ...)

> I wouldn't know about the NICs but the ATA card is a definite.

fair enuf. tho, you don't HAVE an ATA card, do you?  its a true scsi card, no? or am i mistaken?

in all your iterations, tho, did you successfully boot from a NON-motherboard connected drive?  i don't have one ... just the ATA card.

> Have a look at netBSD as an alternative option if you're not going to be
> using the machine as a desktop but I don't really know the pros and cons
> yet, I've got mountains of old hardware and am trying different options out
> myself.  I like the fact it deals with the pre v3 open firmware

do you, perchance, have a URL for the ppc port?

> as the common linux oldworld BootX solution is a pain on smaller hard drives (and
> I'm not bothering with miboot but plan to give quik a go)
>
> Like I say, I'm new to all this just give it a go and see what you run into.
>
> Ta

likewise,

richard