Linux Base

Peter A. Castro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:14:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Ed Sutherland wrote:

> Anyone hear the announcement that the differing Linux distributions are
> signing onto the plan creating a base for Linux installations and
> development? Linux Standard Base 2.0 supposedly will help developers create
> open source software that can run on any Linux distro. A step in the right
> direction, I think. (Now, if they can only standardize on one desktop
> environment...)

Yep, saw it on slashdot.  Unfortunately that's only 1/3 the battle.  The
second part is coming up with a package management system which doesn't
foster "Dependency H3ll", and the last part, of course, is generating
software updates which don't cause the later (something that's a real
problem and which prevents most packages from being built for all
distributions instead of just one).  :)

Once that's done, I think we can work towards better desktop integration.
Oh well, at least it's a step forward...

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>