Linux Base

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
14 Sep 2004 13:36:02 -0400

Yes....I read about the announcement that such an effort was in the
works.  I also read that some vendors and Linux authors are either not
interested or have other reasons (suspicion, maybe??) for not
participating.  In any case, a unified platform in software is not easy
to agree upon especially when it involves open source as many interpret
open source to be their means of expressing their own view of anarchy
defying all logic except their own.

Obviously, not everybody behaves that way otherwise we'd have NO
applications or even an OS available as open source at all -- but it is
quite telling that it is only when you really need something technically
specific done that one discovers that one or another version of Linux or
something else can't do it or won't because of how it has been designed.

I won't bore anybody with examples, because there are TOO MANY...almost
any one person in using any Linux distribution can find something which
fits the above statement. This is also compounded with difficulty also
because there is no other project in human history that has been this
large or complex to design.  Let's keep in mind that the only reason
humans can cooperate on scientific projects is because science by its
very nature can be tested in exactly the same manner.

Software although it stems from computer science, is more closely
related to creative literature because of the gifted or annoying human
talent to think completely differently than what has been known or done
before.  And because open source was developed as a reaction to
corporate or proprietary architectures, any organization which organizes
in any way will be suspect as just another effort to return into the
proprietary model.

So, I don't recommend anyone holding their breath for that effort; in
short YDL 4 and 5 will be out sooner and work better than that project
will.

Remember the yarn about "too many cooks" or "too many chiefs"?  Well,
how about a planet full of chiefs or cooks attempting to agree on
something.  I can't see it happening anytime soon.

A unified desktop..what Afterstep, Enlightenment, WindowMaker, and
others aren't enough?  Or are you asking for less or one?

To me, asking for one of anything is like asking for one mountain or
lake or one of anything else... where is the variety?  Then again some
people live their whole lives in living rooms or their whole house or
apartment in one color!  No wonder so many are afraid of Nature and
diversity...next there are going to be claims about one true this or
that....  Human history has been through all that... one of anything is
just not enough.  Don't believe me... see if you or anyone can be
satisfied with one grain of rice.

No...variety and plenty of it...is what keeps humanity going.