Linux Base

Ed Sutherland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:26:28 -0400

On 9/14/04 1:36 PM, "Derick Centeno" <aguilarojo@verizon.net> wrote:

> A unified desktop..what Afterstep, Enlightenment, WindowMaker, and
> others aren't enough?  Or are you asking for less or one?

I'm looking for one desktop environment people can concentrate their
development on. Imagine the confusion that would erupt if a Windows
developer had to write a version for Windows XP and Windows NT and then 20
other lesser offshoots of Windows or Mac developers needed to release code
that worked on everything from Mac OS X 'Tiger' to the original Lisa? If we
have one Linux code, a developer could easily release a Windows, a Mac and a
Linux version.

But I do agree about the anarchist nature of 'open source' software.
Confusion is encouraged and any attempt to streamline the process to make it
palatable to the general public (who aren't college kids, or IT
professionals) is seen as Chairman Bill's boot on the neck of world freedom.
(okay, that's a bit of hyperbole, but you get the point. ;)

Ed