YDLFAQ-OT

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:58:22 -0700

> So, is the YDLFAQ running on a sun SPARC.
>
> Also, does anyone have any benchmarks from a G3 233Mhz and 167MHz SPARC.

Yep, it really is. If my PowerBook had had more memory, I probably would
have *seriously* considered running it on it! The uptimes on both machines
are comparable, typically on the order of hundreds of days. I would have had
to stop crunching interstellar electromagnetic spectrum data, for sure, but,
hey, that would have been a small price to pay for the greater achievement
of the FAQ. I even spent some time creating that cute little SPARC logo!

One thing about the Sun is that it is pretty easily upgradeable. I have
several lying around with multiple faster CPUs, so it would be no big deal
to get better performance out of the web site in just a half day's worth of
disk swapping.

Bill