YDLFAQ-OT

admin@datazap.net yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:30:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Longman, Bill wrote:
> > So, is the YDLFAQ running on a sun SPARC.
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any benchmarks from a G3 233Mhz and 167MHz SPARC.
>
> Yep, it really is. If my PowerBook had had more memory, I probably would
> have *seriously* considered running it on it! The uptimes on both machines
> are comparable, typically on the order of hundreds of days. I would have had
> to stop crunching interstellar electromagnetic spectrum data, for sure, but,
> hey, that would have been a small price to pay for the greater achievement
> of the FAQ. I even spent some time creating that cute little SPARC logo!
>
> One thing about the Sun is that it is pretty easily upgradeable. I have
> several lying around with multiple faster CPUs, so it would be no big deal
> to get better performance out of the web site in just a half day's worth of
> disk swapping.

I was just wondering, because I am always looking for new hardware, and I
was wondering what performed better a powerpc or a sun. Infact, I was
looking at a sun last night. Nice server and at $995 really tempting. I
also came across another system called amigaone. It looks like a pc mother
board with a powerpc cpu, and uses pc power supply, case, etc... It is
said to run YDL, but I didn't find any docs on how to make it do it. So, I
am trying to decide between the 2.

-Al