Can't boot out of OS 9

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:53:50 +1000

GDB-B&W-X.3.5 wrote:

> The machine is a B&W G3 400 Mhz with 896 Mb of RAM.  I have a 20 Gb
> Maxtor IDE HD with 3 partitions.  My yaboot screen appears as normal
> after running OS X (10.3.5) or YDL (3.0.1), but if I choose to boot
> into OS 9, I am stuck there unless I zap the PRAM.  Is there a way to
> fix this and why does it happen?
>
> Just a message from Doug...

OS 9 and OS X can be installed on the same partition and this is a quite
common configuration. Both operating systems have a 'select boot disk'
utility in the control panel/system preferences which I presume tells
OpenFirmware which OS is active on the shared partition.

I had both operating systems on the same partition and had the problem
you describe. I found that if I made OS 9 active from the OS X prefs
then I could boot OS 9 from yaboot but couldn't get OS X to boot and
vice-versa.

I think the solution was to make OS X the default OS on that partition
and to use MOL to run OS 9. MOL definitely played a part. Unfortunately
I've since rebuilt the system due to a hard-drive failure and it ain't
set up like that anymore.