Can't boot out of OS 9

GDB-B&W-X.3.5 yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:59:08 -0400

Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

>Although I haven't tried this myself because I've never had OS9 and OSX on
>the same partition, one thing you can try is selecting OS9 in the Startup
>Disk preference pane, then rerunning ybin from the rescue disk, but in
>yaboot.conf having only OS9 pointing to the shared OS9/X partition, and
>specifying the BrokenOSX option. From my understanding of the boot
>process, that _should_ prevent such problems.
>
>On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:53:50 +1000, Greg Hamilton wrote:
>

>>GDB-B&W-X.3.5 wrote:
>>

>>>The machine is a B&W G3 400 Mhz with 896 Mb of RAM.  I have a 20 Gb
>>>Maxtor IDE HD with 3 partitions.  My yaboot screen appears as normal
>>>after running OS X (10.3.5) or YDL (3.0.1), but if I choose to boot
>>>into OS 9, I am stuck there unless I zap the PRAM.  Is there a way to
>>>fix this and why does it happen?
>>>
>>>Just a message from Doug...

>>>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'
>>>

>>OS 9 and OS X can be installed on the same partition and this is a quite
>>common configuration. Both operating systems have a 'select boot disk'
>>utility in the control panel/system preferences which I presume tells
>>OpenFirmware which OS is active on the shared partition.
>>
>>I had both operating systems on the same partition and had the problem
>>you describe. I found that if I made OS 9 active from the OS X prefs
>>then I could boot OS 9 from yaboot but couldn't get OS X to boot and
>>vice-versa.
>>
>>I think the solution was to make OS X the default OS on that partition
>>and to use MOL to run OS 9. MOL definitely played a part. Unfortunately
>>I've since rebuilt the system due to a hard-drive failure and it ain't
>>set up like that anymore.

Hmmm, not sure but guess I was not clear enough.  On my 3 partitions I
have OS-X on one (default under yaboot), OS-9 on another and YDL on the
third partition.  I have MOL setup and working just fine also.  It's
only when I choose to boot into OS-9 from the yaboot prompt that I'm
stuck there unless I zap the PRAM.  Otherwise if I choose to restart or
shutdown and then turn the power back on, it always comes up in OS-9, no
more yaboot prompt.

Just a message from Doug...