Just curious

Daniel Gimpelevich yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:03:47 -0700

It shouldn't really matter which partition is the yaboot partition because
the ybin command points OpenFirmware to it. That's the purpose of the
boot= line. The drive hda begins with an obsolete 512-byte structure
called the Driver Descriptor Map. It is immediately followed by the hda1
partition, which is always analogous to the MBR. Although this partition
has provisions for containing boot code, it doesn't have enough space for
yaboot, so a method somewhat similar to installing in the superblock is
used. Only this "superblock" ends up being a separate partition. It just
turned out to be much easier that way. I suspect that something is
peculiar about your OS9 install, but I would pretty much need physical
access to your machine to confirm my suspicions. However, if you e-mail me
your phone number and a good time to call, I can try to interactively rule
out a few things.