Just curious

GDB-B&W-X.3.5 yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:33:26 -0400

Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

>It shouldn't really matter which partition is the yaboot partition because
>the ybin command points OpenFirmware to it. That's the purpose of the
>boot= line. The drive hda begins with an obsolete 512-byte structure
>called the Driver Descriptor Map. It is immediately followed by the hda1
>partition, which is always analogous to the MBR. Although this partition
>has provisions for containing boot code, it doesn't have enough space for
>yaboot, so a method somewhat similar to installing in the superblock is
>used. Only this "superblock" ends up being a separate partition. It just
>turned out to be much easier that way. I suspect that something is
>peculiar about your OS9 install, but I would pretty much need physical
>access to your machine to confirm my suspicions. However, if you e-mail me
>your phone number and a good time to call, I can try to interactively rule
>out a few things.

<snip>

Thanks Daniel, you've helped a great deal, at least now I know how it
finds hda9.  I figured it was a pointer of some kind.  I will do a
little more investigating and if nothing else I will try to reformat and
reinstall.  Not a big deal to be able to run OS9, seems less necessary
all the time, just wanted to be able to if I needed it for some reason.

Just a message from Doug...