Just curious

GDB-iMac-YDL3.0.1 yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:56:29 -0400

GDB-B&W-X.3.5 wrote:

> <SNIP>

> As promised, an update.  I installed the new drive into the iMac and
> also doubled the RAM from 128 to 256 Mb.  As far as hardware
> installation things went fine.  The iMac had a moment or two of
> indecision about where the OS was, but soon the familiar light gray
> background appeared with the apple displayed in the middle.  Did a
> couple of updates and decided it was time to install OS9 onto it's
> partition.  Tried first to run it from within OSX, but that would not
> work, so I rebooted with the C key held down.  The computer started
> from the CD but it would not let me mount the HD to install the OS.
> Nothing I tried would allow me to install OS9 so I decided to give YDL
> a try.  This went a little smoother, but the first problem I ran into
> was that the graphical installer would not run, I had to settle for
> text mode.  The slot loading CD-ROM drive stopped working on in the
> middle of installing the 2nd CD, so I had to start over.  This time it
> went all the way through, but still would not run the graphical
> installer.  Once installed I found that the only OS listed on the boot
> screen was YDL and so I figured something went wrong with the
> bootloading setup I had performed.  I had at least went into the
> partition map and wrote down which partitions were for OSX and OS9, so
> I figured I could fix that problem easy enough.  Once booted up the
> GUI seemed to work just fine this time, but the strange problem is
> that it only works the first time during each subsequent boot.  If I
> attempt to log off as me to log in as ROOT, the screen goes dark and
> that's it for the X-server.  I can switch to a different console and
> log in as ROOT there and do stuff in text mode, but nothing graphical
> unless I reboot.  I plan to reinstall YDL as I didn't get Gnome
> installed as my GUI and that is what I usually use.  Anyone have an
> idea as to why I can't get the graphical installer to work or what
> other problems I might be having here?  Sorry for the long post, but I
> felt the information about how it was installed and the problems I
> experienced might be a clue to what the problem is.  Thanks for
> listening.

Further update, I have reinstalled once more, this time adding Gnome.
 Some of the problems have been fixed, but it seems the big problem is
with gdm.  If I setup inittab to boot into the GUI, I can do it the
first time just fine, but then if I logout and try to log back in I have
no x-server.  If I change inittab to boot up in text mode, I can go in
and out of the x-server all day long with no problems!  Only thing I can
figure is something to do with gdm as this is the windows manager that
is used by default.  I welcome all ideas to fix this problem.  Not a big
deal to start Gnome up with startx as apposed to having it automatically
go into it, but it should work the other way as it does on my B&W.

Just a message from Doug...