Just curious

GDB-B&W-X.3.5 yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:56:57 -0400

GDB-Dell-WinME wrote:

> mascarasnake wrote:
>
>> Hey Doug -
>> <Snipage>
>

> IMHO, that sounds like the route I would go. If you can back up your
> mac side to another disk and start from a clean drive, you could get
> that partition map fixed. You might want to hang out to see and see
> what other "HO's" are, but them's my pennies. CCC is a great backup
> app by the way. I've been using it and psync for about 8 months now,
> with bi-monthly backups - no problems.
>

>> g'luck
>>
> Okay, just so happens I have a newly purchased 80 Gb Maxtor IDE HD.
> I've swapped out the one that is screwed up and I put the new one in.
> I'm currently setting up the drive the way it should be.  I have a 15
> Gb free space at the beginning of the drive (for YDL/Swap and
> bootstrap), next is a 20 Gb OSX partition followed by a 5 Gb OS9
> partition and the rest is set to be a Data partition. I'm currently
> installing 10.3.x at the moment and once that is done I will remove
> the drive and put it in my iMac.  Once that is done I will install OS
> 9 and YDL to see how it works.  If it works okay there I'll know that
> was the problem.  If it turns out to be the case I will use CCC and
> reorder the original HD in my B&W.  I was going to do this anyway
> being as I don't have a DVD drive in the iMac and my Panter is on a
> DVD.  Hope this works, will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks
> much for the help.

As promised, an update.  I installed the new drive into the iMac and
also doubled the RAM from 128 to 256 Mb.  As far as hardware
installation things went fine.  The iMac had a moment or two of
indecision about where the OS was, but soon the familiar light gray
background appeared with the apple displayed in the middle.  Did a
couple of updates and decided it was time to install OS9 onto it's
partition.  Tried first to run it from within OSX, but that would not
work, so I rebooted with the C key held down.  The computer started from
the CD but it would not let me mount the HD to install the OS.  Nothing
I tried would allow me to install OS9 so I decided to give YDL a try.
This went a little smoother, but the first problem I ran into was that
the graphical installer would not run, I had to settle for text mode.
The slot loading CD-ROM drive stopped working on in the middle of
installing the 2nd CD, so I had to start over.  This time it went all
the way through, but still would not run the graphical installer.  Once
installed I found that the only OS listed on the boot screen was YDL and
so I figured something went wrong with the bootloading setup I had
performed.  I had at least went into the partition map and wrote down
which partitions were for OSX and OS9, so I figured I could fix that
problem easy enough.  Once booted up the GUI seemed to work just fine
this time, but the strange problem is that it only works the first time
during each subsequent boot.  If I attempt to log off as me to log in as
ROOT, the screen goes dark and that's it for the X-server.  I can switch
to a different console and log in as ROOT there and do stuff in text
mode, but nothing graphical unless I reboot.  I plan to reinstall YDL as
I didn't get Gnome installed as my GUI and that is what I usually use.
Anyone have an idea as to why I can't get the graphical installer to
work or what other problems I might be having here?  Sorry for the long
post, but I felt the information about how it was installed and the
problems I experienced might be a clue to what the problem is.  Thanks
for listening.

Just a message from Doug...