YDL Switcher questions

BIl Grove yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 21 18:49:46 MDT 2004

--=====================_101159699==.ALT

Christopher,

Glad to hear you basically just like Linux.  The usage of Linux goes beyond
running it and applications on a desktop computer for home use.  It has
become widely used in the embedded software development arena.  You can
apply your Linux desktop knowledge to developing embedded systems.  This is
a good reason to use Linux.  This is actually the only reason I run
Linux.  I run YDL on an iBook that provides a complete software development
environment.  I run the executables on an embedded device that runs the
same version of YDL.  The embedded device also mounts its file system on
the iBook.  Other than software development that targets a Linux device I
use Windows for all office needs.

At 05:12 PM 9/21/2004 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
>recreational use and I only need to switch back to Mac OS to do the really
>serious work. Before I ask my questions let me say, for all the hype Linux
>isn't really better than Mac OS. Why would I use it then? Well for
>day-to-day email and chat and coding it's a nice environment. Why then
>would I switch? Well, because I like Linux, Hate Window$ and am starting
>to resent Apple's childlike interface. I believe in open source software
>and I think there's hope for the OS and I want to learn as much as
>possible so IF the day ever comes that I need to use it as a
>bread-and-butter OS I will be able to. Anyhow, on to my questions.
>
>1. Is Gnome a beta or does it really have that many bugs or am I just not
>capable of setting it up properly? Xine locks up every I'm in Gnome,
>Evolutions is just a horrible experience (too bad too, it's the nicest
>looking app of it's kind and I really wanted to use it), and generally
>application features either don't work or don't exist.
>
>2. (possibly the answer to #1) Are some programs built to run ONLY under
>Gnome or ONLY under KDE? I notice KOrganizer is missing all it icons under
>Gnome and doesn't work very well in Gnome either(as is the case with many
>things).
>
>3. Does the clock work? Ever?
>
>4. Keyboard shortcuts. Where can I find a good guide to learn keyboard
>shortcuts? In Mac OS I can hit the command-Tab buttons to cycle through
>open apps, com-sft-Q logs me out, com-sft-N creates a folder or directory,
>etc., etc., etc... Is there a good guide for that sort of thing. I already
>know that replacing the com key with the ctrl key works for most things,
>but there has got to be more. Is it possible to define those kinds of things?
>
>5. Audio editing - Video editing: What is available? I tried Audacity, but
>I simply does not work on the new Aluminum PowerBooks. I have compiled
>from source, tried the rpm and have had extensive help from this community
>and the Audacity community. Great looking program but, it simply does not
>work on this hardware. Video editing software is a must if I'm ever to
>make Linux a main OS. Like I said I need the bread-and-butter apps to call
>Linux home. I haven't found anything that works on PPC.
>
>6. This one is a bit complicated. How does one "port" an app? I would love
>to be self sufficient with source code. Relying on the PPC Linux community
>to port an app can be a long wait. Just the sheer lack of people that run
>PPCLinux and the percent of that group that needs the same apps I do, then
>the percent of that group that can port an app... it's damn a small number.
>

>Thanks for any assistance,
>Christopher
>
>P.S. I do NOT mean this to be a flame in any way. If you need more
>specific info from me to answer a question please ask me.
>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

Bill Grove
Senior Software Engineer
Assurance Technology Corporation
84 South Street
Carlisle, MA  01741

phone: (978)369-8848 x213
fax:    (978)369-3368

grove@assurtech.com

--=====================_101159699==.ALT

Christopher,<br><br>
Glad to hear you basically just like Linux.&nbsp; The usage of Linux goes
beyond running it and applications on a desktop computer for home
use.&nbsp; It has become widely used in the embedded software development
arena.&nbsp; You can apply your Linux desktop knowledge to developing
embedded systems.&nbsp; This is a good reason to use Linux.&nbsp; This is
actually the only reason I run Linux.&nbsp; I run YDL on an iBook that
provides a complete software development environment.&nbsp; I run the
executables on an embedded device that runs the same version of
YDL.&nbsp; The embedded device also mounts its file system on the
iBook.&nbsp; Other than software development that targets a Linux device
I use Windows for all office needs.<br><br>
At 05:12 PM 9/21/2004 -0700, you wrote:<br>
3 years now and attempting to use it for a main OS for the past 1 year.
I'm to the point that I can use it for recreational use and I only need
to switch back to Mac OS to do the really serious work. Before I ask my
questions let me say, for all the hype Linux isn't really better than Mac
OS. Why would I use it then? Well for day-to-day email and chat and
coding it's a nice environment. Why then would I switch? Well, because I
like Linux, Hate Window$ and am starting to resent Apple's childlike
interface. I believe in open source software and I think there's hope for
the OS and I want to learn as much as possible so IF the day ever comes
that I need to use it as a bread-and-butter OS I will be able to. Anyhow,
on to my questions.<br><br>
1. Is Gnome a beta or does it really have that many bugs or am I just not
capable of setting it up properly? Xine locks up every I'm in Gnome,
Evolutions is just a horrible experience (too bad too, it's the nicest
looking app of it's kind and I really wanted to use it), and generally
application features either don't work or don't exist.<br><br>
2. (possibly the answer to #1) Are some programs built to run ONLY under
Gnome or ONLY under KDE? I notice KOrganizer is missing all it icons
under Gnome and doesn't work very well in Gnome either(as is the case
with many things).<br><br>
3. Does the clock work? Ever?<br><br>
4. Keyboard shortcuts. Where can I find a good guide to learn keyboard
shortcuts? In Mac OS I can hit the command-Tab buttons to cycle through
open apps, com-sft-Q logs me out, com-sft-N creates a folder or
directory, etc., etc., etc... Is there a good guide for that sort of
thing. I already know that replacing the com key with the ctrl key works
for most things, but there has got to be more. Is it possible to define
those kinds of things?<br><br>
5. Audio editing - Video editing: What is available? I tried Audacity,
but I simply does not work on the new Aluminum PowerBooks. I have
compiled from source, tried the rpm and have had extensive help from this
community and the Audacity community. Great looking program but, it
simply does not work on this hardware. Video editing software is a must
if I'm ever to make Linux a main OS. Like I said I need the
bread-and-butter apps to call Linux home. I haven't found anything that
works on PPC.<br><br>
6. This one is a bit complicated. How does one &quot;port&quot; an app? I
would love to be self sufficient with source code. Relying on the PPC
Linux community to port an app can be a long wait. Just the sheer lack of
people that run PPCLinux and the percent of that group that needs the
same apps I do, then the percent of that group that can port an app...
it's damn a small number.<br><br>
Thanks for any assistance,<br>
Christopher<br><br>
P.S. I do NOT mean this to be a flame in any way. If you need more
specific info from me to answer a question please ask me.<br>
HINT: to Google archives, try&nbsp; '&lt;keywords&gt;
site:terrasoftsolutions.com'<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Senior Software Engineer<br>
Assurance Technology Corporation<br>
84 South Street<br>
Carlisle, MA&nbsp; 01741<br><br>
phone: (978)369-8848 x213<br>
fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (978)369-3368<br><br>
grove@assurtech.com<br>