YDL Switcher questions

yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 21 19:08:03 MDT 2004

>>1. Is Gnome a beta or does it really have that many bugs or am I just not
>>capable of setting it up properly? Xine locks up every I'm in Gnome,
>>Evolutions is just a horrible experience (too bad too, it's the nicest
>>looking app of it's kind and I really wanted to use it), and generally
>>application features either don't work or don't exist.

GNOME 2.8 its a fully functional platform. Since yesterday i am using it
and its excellent!
Evolution 2.0 its beautiful, useful and solid.

>>2. (possibly the answer to #1) Are some programs built to run ONLY under
>>Gnome or ONLY under KDE? I notice KOrganizer is missing all it icons
>> under
>>Gnome and doesn't work very well in Gnome either(as is the case with many
>>things).
NOT, you can install KDE libraries and your KDE applications must run ok.

>>3. Does the clock work? Ever?
Yes you have a ntp.org link.

>>4. Keyboard shortcuts. Where can I find a good guide to learn keyboard
>>shortcuts? In Mac OS I can hit the command-Tab buttons to cycle through
>>open apps, com-sft-Q logs me out, com-sft-N creates a folder or
>> directory,
>>etc., etc., etc... Is there a good guide for that sort of thing. I
>> already
>>know that replacing the com key with the ctrl key works for most things,
>>but there has got to be more. Is it possible to define those kinds of
>> things?

Yes in my ibook G3 works.

>>5. Audio editing - Video editing: What is available? I tried Audacity,
>> but
>>I simply does not work on the new Aluminum PowerBooks. I have compiled
>>from source, tried the rpm and have had extensive help from this
>> community
>>and the Audacity community. Great looking program but, it simply does not
>>work on this hardware. Video editing software is a must if I'm ever to
>>make Linux a main OS. Like I said I need the bread-and-butter apps to
>> call
>>Linux home. I haven't found anything that works on PPC.

Audacity is for audio edition for video edition try Cinelerra.

>>6. This one is a bit complicated. How does one "port" an app? I would
>> love
>>to be self sufficient with source code. Relying on the PPC Linux
>> community
>>to port an app can be a long wait. Just the sheer lack of people that run
>>PPCLinux and the percent of that group that needs the same apps I do,
>> then
>>the percent of that group that can port an app... it's damn a small
>> number.

If you have some experience working with source code (.tar.gz), you can
install all the software.

May be if you try http://www.ubuntulinux.org change your opinion. Since
yesterday i was using and everything changes, polished interface, new and
updated packages: GNOME 2.8, Evolution 2.0, OpenOffice 1.1.2, and all the
news libraries needed to work.

And it runs in powerpc

Hope this helps!!
Mauricio Hernandez